[ale] NanoPC

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Thu Mar 6 11:27:05 EST 2014

I'm constantly arguing with boneheaded web developers who go and do their development on the latest bleeding-edge release of Ubuntu, Fedora, or OpenSUSE on a VM on their workstations, then expect me to upgrade the PHP on our SLES servers to that version on their test VM.
At this point, I have to point out that we provide test/dev space on an identical server to production for a reason...and then they stomp and rant and rave, and I have to escalate to management and let them tell them "not just no, but hell no" on pulling in unsupported PHP packages or setting them up a special Debuntu VM for their site.
Bleeding edge releases + web developers = a deadly combination and a huge security problem.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer