[ale] OT: Old hardware

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Mar 2 14:35:57 EST 2014

On 3/2/2014 06:10, Boris Borisov wrote:
> I've got old hardware from somebody - Ethernet port to four serial port
> that could be set to dial in or dial out mode or null modem. It looks cool
> but it is old. Can anybody think of application for like controlling
> embedded devices over serial port or should I just get the good parts from
> it.

Assuming it's a terminal server you can actually use those to put serial
ports on any of your computers that lack hardware serial ports.  Very
handy thing to have since some USB-serial adapters don't always work
properly for the device on the serial port end because the USB adapter
didn't fully implement RS232.