[ale] online build-your-own used/refurbished Linux-ready laptop

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 15:03:41 EDT 2014

I was willing to throw down cold, hard cash for that machine!

I never spilled anything into the keyboard but I did dribble pear juice
into the mouse buttons on the second day I had it :-(  Good pear, bad
sticky button. wound up taking a brand new laptop apart by day 4 to get the
sticky button cleaned up. Used some stiff paper that was barely damp to run
under things and clean it up once I took out enough stuff to get to the
buttons.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Dustin Strickland <
dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure you had fun trying to talk them out of that laptop :P Did you
> get to find out if the Lenovo business laptops still have spill-proof
> keyboards?
>
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:39:17 -0400
> Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My work laptop was a W520, quad-core I7 with 16GB RAM, dual graphics
> > with 2GB on the NVidia and 1 on the Intel, 17" screen with a really
> > high pixel count (don't recall) and a 500G HD. It was also bought
> > with the extended battery that stuck out an extra 3/4 inch from the
> > rear but gave it a full on working lifespan of about 4 hours running
> > VPN, wireless, 2-3 VMs, firefox with a zillion tabs and dozens of
> > terminal windows tabbed plus 10-15 remmina tabbed windows open to
> > remote machines. I worked that thing hard and really tried to buy it
> > when I left IBM.
> >

> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Dustin Strickland <
> > dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I second Jim on this one, the W520 is the way to go. Those are some
> > > solid machines, though the T-series "equivalent" isn't bad. Most of
> > > the T520's have an i5, but some of them come with a dual-core i7(as
> > > do some of the W520's, though most are i7 quads). It's very
> > > uncommon for a T-series to have dedicated graphics, but I have seen
> > > configurations with an nVidia card. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
> > > don't the T520's have a max capacity of 8GB of RAM?
> > >
> > > Some eBay sellers will create custom listings if you message them
> > > asking for certain specs. I don't know if many do this with laptops,
> > > but I know there are plenty of people and companies who will make
> > > minor modifications to desktop machines if they have the parts on
> > > hand.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*