[ale] OT: Cell service provider recommendations

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 18:31:00 EDT 2014

I went to the TMobile store yesterday and the guy there told me that
TMobile will be running things after the merger and that Sprint management
will be out. He figures it will be middle of next year before the merger
can happen with regulatory approval and such. He also said that their LTE
coverage will soon improve as they bought some towers from Verizon (V sold
them, supposedly to entice the FCC to make the spectrum auction more
favorable to V, but that didn't happen in the end).

If you are considering BYOD, take a look at the One plus One. It is
supposedly pretty awesome, works with TMoble LTE and costs $350 with 64Gig
(no Micro SD card slot though). General availability is supposed to be
middle of next month.

TMobile has some phones with no $ down, you pay $12-26/mo and own it at the
end (also no finance charge). For an additional $10/mo you join their
"Jump" plan that allows you to trade in and upgrade after 6 months. The $10
also covers insurance in case of lost/stolen/damaged phone (but you'll have
to pay something towards the replacement).

On the whole, I'm quite happy with TMobile, except for the update to my S4
they pushed out a few months ago, dang phone hasn't been right since!