[ale] Possibly Way OT: Live stream video to a file server for Live viewing

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 15:40:00 EDT 2014

I really like that idea, the only stopper is that I will be on top of the
press box pointing the camera at the action and in some cases need to zoom
in.  Which is sad as I already have the RPi and a webcam ( there's a great
one you can get from adafruit which plugs onto the board ) and an enclosure
that works with it fyi.

I'm currently playing with my RPi and the debian distro for a home security
setup.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at naunetcorp.com>
wrote:

>  On 06/10/2014 03:08 PM, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> Situation:  I want to help the school football team with their AV for my
> son's team.  They want to have a camera on top of the press box recording
> the plays which they can watch (almost) live on the field as well as save
> for uploading to hudl.com laster.
>
>  Anyone know if those wifi memory cards can stream to a linux laptop
> which can then vlc play the video?  Anyone seen or done something similar
> so I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel?  I'd love to get a nice Linux box
> doing this instead of a windows setup if possible.
>

> Not quite what you're asking for, but here's what I'd attempt:
>
>    - Take an RPi with video codec licenses enabled on it, and put in a
>    rather large SD card.
>    - Install your distribution of choice, and configure a command-line
>    Web cam application to record any attached Web cam.  This would use the
>    V4L2 API provided by the kernel, and should work with any half-way decent
>    USB camera.  I tend to prefer Logitechs.
>    - Come up with some sort of enclosure that will protect the whole kit
>    from weather.
>    - Bonus points if you can use the GPIOs to implement a battery
>    management for the Pi's power supply and maybe use wind/sun on a small
>    scale to keep the battery charged.  The battery needs to be able to supply
>    up to 10-12W of power at peak.  Otherwise, you'll need to figure out a
>    means of getting power to the unit.
>
> At that point, you can implement the rest of what you're asking for pretty
> trivially.
>
>     — Mike

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                                     - Manowar