[ale] Possibly Way OT: Live stream video to a file server for Live viewing

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Tue Jun 10 15:19:15 EDT 2014

On 06/10/2014 03:08 PM, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> Situation:  I want to help the school football team with their AV for
> my son's team.  They want to have a camera on top of the press box
> recording the plays which they can watch (almost) live on the field as
> well as save for uploading to hudl.com <http://hudl.com> laster.
>
> Anyone know if those wifi memory cards can stream to a linux laptop
> which can then vlc play the video?  Anyone seen or done something
> similar so I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel?  I'd love to get a
> nice Linux box doing this instead of a windows setup if possible.

Not quite what you're asking for, but here's what I'd attempt:

  * Take an RPi with video codec licenses enabled on it, and put in a
    rather large SD card.
  * Install your distribution of choice, and configure a command-line
    Web cam application to record any attached Web cam.  This would use
    the V4L2 API provided by the kernel, and should work with any
    half-way decent USB camera.  I tend to prefer Logitechs.
  * Come up with some sort of enclosure that will protect the whole kit
    from weather.
  * Bonus points if you can use the GPIOs to implement a battery
    management for the Pi's power supply and maybe use wind/sun on a
    small scale to keep the battery charged.  The battery needs to be
    able to supply up to 10-12W of power at peak.  Otherwise, you'll
    need to figure out a means of getting power to the unit.

At that point, you can implement the rest of what you're asking for
pretty trivially.

     --- Mike