[ale] Linux on PPC

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Jun 6 18:20:10 EDT 2014

Not an issue with Gentoo.  From
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?full=1#book_part1:

*Apple NewWorld Machines* 	Power/PowerPC microprocessors (G3, G4, G5)
such as iMac, eMac, iBook PowerBook, Xserver, PowerMac
*Apple OldWorld machines* 	Apple Machines with an Open Firmware revision
less than 3, such as the Beige G3s, PCI PowerMacs and PCI PowerBooks.
PCI-based Apple Clones should also be supported.
*Genesi* 	Pegasos I/II, Open Desktop Workstation, Efika
*IBM* 	RS/6000, iSeries, pSeries
*Memory* 	At least 64 MB
*Diskspace* 	1.5 GB (excluding swap space)
*Swap space* 	At least 256 MB

It's really nice to be able to take a non-Intel machine that'd be a boat
anchor to most and make it almost as useful as x86/x86_64 (within
reason, i.e. accelerated video).  I've Gentooed a couple of Suns in the
past; solid as a rock.