[ale] Linux on PPC

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jun 6 11:36:38 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 13:50 +0000, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> So, are any of you doing any Linux on PowerPC?  Someone gave me an old
> 2Ghz PowerMac G5 (one of the big full tower aluminum ones that was
> about $3000+ back when it was new), with 3 GB of memory, and a 1TB
> hard drive.  It works great/has nothing wrong with it - not even a
> scratch on the exterior.  It looks like Debian or Yellowdog seem to be
> the main options for PPC these days...  this thing may be my weekend
> experiment :)

Wow...  Weird how things just synchronisticly come together...

No, I'm not actively working on PPC now although I do have the hardware
available to me.  In fact, said hardware may be a twin of your own.

Be that as it may.  Fedora has been released on PPC (32 and 64).

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PowerPC/F20_PPC_release_announcement

The coincidence is that I'm fielding some bugzilla reports on LXC at the
moment and one of them is a failure to install lxc-templates on a ppc64
arch due to a dependency on busybox (which is required).  Seems that
someone forgot to build busybox for F20 ppc even though it's present in
F19 ppc.  Still looking for who to lay hands on for that oversight.

> --
> Allen Beddingfield
> Systems Engineer
> The University of Alabama

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com