[ale] OT: Cell service provider recommendations

Calvin Harrigan calvin.harrigan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 20:52:17 EDT 2014

On 06/05/2014 03:26 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> So we're sort of getting tired of ATT's games with pricing. We have 5
> phones with 15Gb data and paying ~$340/month with my wife's state
> employee discount. We're looking to bail out of ATT and go with
> T-Mobile's program to pay contract termination fees. We can get all 5
> phones exchanged for new ones plus the deal only gives 1GB/phone, but
> I can get and extra 2GB for $10. So what I'm asking is 2 things:
>
> 1. How is T-Mobile's service and also their coverage?
>
> 2. Motorola, LG, Samsung, or HTC?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott C.

I've been with them for a bit. I used to travel a bit and have never had
any trouble in metro areas. I only remember  a couple times not having
any signal at all. In rural areas it falls back as far as 2G, but you
could still make/receive calls. Service has been great. Contacted
customer support twice when I initially setup.  One was to switch from
prepaid to post-paid, the other was adding my wife to my plan.  Both
times the rep was knowledgeable and empowered (no need to speak to a
supervisor). They just took care of business and even credited me a few
bucks during the switch overs, even though it was working.  Then earlier
this year they doubled my data for free! Can't argue with that. Being
able to text family over seas is also a win.  No data overages also
saves the day when you do go over.  They throttle you back, not charge
you more. All in all a happy camper.