[ale] oVirt anyone?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 29 10:18:34 EDT 2014

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:

> I have multiple hosts tied to a single ovirt head and some standalone
> head/host combo systems.
>
> It works. VMWare should be worried. They should also be porting their
> windows only management console to web GUI as fast as possible.
>
> One Issue solved in next release is integration with IPA. 3.4 broke
> something working in 3.2. 3.5 is in pre-release and is fixed. It allows
> authenticated users to fully control their VMs power up and down and
> provision new ones from templates up to their usage limits.
>
> The back end is KVM and is rock solid. Memory sharing and thin provision
> storage are excellent.

I was looking at migrating to oVirt (I currently run vmware-server).  My
main complaint about oVirt is its Master/Slave methodology.  I currently
have a single box that I'd like to run as both the admin platform and
the VM host (and also a few other services on the host platform), but as
far as I could tell there was no way to configure oVirt this way.  Maybe
it's changed in the past few years since I last looked?

Basically right now I have one big server with lots of disk, memory, and
CPU (granted, acquired ~4-5 years ago, but still viable for my use).  I
don't want to replace hardware when what I have "works".  Although I
would kind of like to freshen the software on it, as the current system
is a little long in the tooth.

-derek