[ale] Slackware anyone

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 14:06:20 EDT 2014

My last experience with Slackware was Salix OS. I'd dabbled with
Slackware before, and I liked it enough to use it on a few machines.
About 3 years ago, I got a secondhand Dell laptop with a Pentium M. I
wanted to use it without spending a week fine-tuning from a fresh
Slackware install, so I put Salix on it.I went in their IRC channel
asking for help with this really funky legacy nvidia driver that had me
stumped for a few days. When I said "Salix", I got a bunch of "Why are
you even here, we don't support Slackware-based distros," "Why don't you
just install Slackware and then install everything you need by hand like
it was meant to be done?" Everything short of "Why do you need graphics
drivers when you have a serial port?" When that laptop died, that was
the last time I touched Slack outside of a VM.

I generally don't disown a piece of software because of the community
that uses it, but Slack is the exception. They seemed to be arrogant,
elitist assholes and I didn't want to be lumped in with that crowd -- I
am proud to be an arrogant, elitist asshole and I didn't want my use of
a particular OS to take the credit for it :P