[ale] Centos

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Jul 25 15:16:44 EDT 2014

On 07/25/2014 02:57 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> XFS has been out of beta for 10 years. It's been an install option since
> RHEL5.

I've used XFS on Irix and for a short test on Linux in the early 2000s with a
multitude of different FS which shouldn't count. If it is the default for your
flavor, then i'd use it.

I made the mistake of using JFS for about a decade, prior to it being in the
base kernel. I've learned about the hassles of doing that and don't plan to make
that mistake again.  Most of the save-your-butt utility disks aren't going to
support XFS, so if that is important to you, it is a consideration.  OTOH, in a
work environment, that probably isn't normal.

XFS is NOT the default on all linuxen, but it is definitely more proven than btrfs.

I should point out that I'm very cautious - having switched to ext4 just 18
months ago.