[ale] Switching from Server 2003 to Samba

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Tue Jul 15 09:35:11 EDT 2014

Many thanks for all the pointers. I have a test machine becoming available
this week and will give feedback on how things work out. Initially I plan
to just get the shares working with existing Windows AD permissions and at
some later point look into how we can get rid of Windows AD, but that's
going to be a tough one, since we're a M$ shop on the desktop and use a lot
of GPO's.

To kick things off I'll be using Ubuntu 14.04 as a test bed and to get
familiar with the basics. I'll let ya'll know ...

cheers
ed

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> [...]
> > reduce
> > > the AD server footprint from 18 servers down to 4. Corporate mindset
> > issues
> > > demand small steps.
> > >
> > > Question: Is it better to go with an "appliance solution" such as
> FreeNAS
> > > vs. distro+Samba?
> > >
> > > I played around with FreeNAS a bit and while it has great automation of
> > > things like AD integration (which I will need to do for now) and a
> great
> > > web interface, it seems less flexible when it comes to e.g. backup
> > options.
> > > It seems a simple Ubuntu/Samba box gives me many options on how to
> handle
> > > our daily backups to USB, while FreeNAS can potentially close doors to
> > me,
> > > or at least make things harder. That's just one example that I ran
> into.
> > >
> > > So, I'd like to hear from you about experiences/pros-cons of
> > appliance-type
> > > options vs the manual way. I've tried both at a simple test level. They
> > > both seem viable and I really want to like FreeNAS, but just cannot
> seem
> > > get comfortable with it - little glitches seem to pop up that have the
> > > potential to be major sticking points. So right now I'm leaning towards
> > > distro+Samba.
> > >
> > > Feel free to suggest other options besides the two mentioned here.
> > Whatever
> > > solution I deploy I have to be able to use Windows ACL's on the shares
> > > for now.
> > >
> > > cheers
> > > ed
> > >
> > > --
> > > Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
> > > 11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250 | Johns Creek, GA 30097
> > > O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949
> > >
> > > --
> > > MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc.
> > WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
> > > NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are
> > not
> > > the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then
> delete
> > it
> > > - you should not copy or use it for any purpose or disclose its content
> > > any other person. Internet communications are not secure. You should
> scan
> > > this message and any attachments for viruses. Any unauthorized use or
> > > interception of this e-mail is illegal.

Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250 | Johns Creek, GA 30097
O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it
- you should not copy or use it for any purpose or disclose its content to