[ale] [Possibly OT] Androd <--> OSX

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Jul 14 20:50:30 EDT 2014

You said you have AirDroid--it is pretty slick and will do what you need. First you would connect your Droid to your local wi-fi network (or I assume you could use the wi-fi hotspot or wi-fi direct connect, but my desktop doesn't have wi-fi). Then you launch AirDroid. It will come up with a url to browse to, something like http://192.168.1.39:8888/ . On your Mac, you browse to this address and a confirm button appears on the Droid. Once you click it, you get an HTML5-based desktop in your browser. You can use this to transfer files as well as several other functions.

Since you're on wi-fi, you're not using your data plan. And the connection is direct from you computer to your wi-fi router (maybe to your local switch) to your phone, so no cloud. I don't see an option for https (didn't look that hard) but as long as your local network is secure you should be fine. Plus no cable futzing.

Scott