[ale] Chomecast with web cast

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Jul 3 17:12:04 EDT 2014

On 07/03/2014 04:07 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> My neighbor sent me an email wanting to stream this event:
>
> http://bhswebcast.com/index.php
>
> I suggested a Chromecast.  I bought one at Wal-Mart and so far I like it.  The
> kids are now streaming minecraft videos from Youtube on their tablets.
>
> What are your experiences with web cast like the above?  Tab cast?  He'll pay
> $60 just to view that even as a delayed cast and he does not want to sit at his
> computer.  No HDMI ports on PC either.  I'm thinking this dongle will work well
> for him.
>

> I had to admit my main motivation to taking the plunge is that sometimes I watch
> funny cat vids with my girls and would love to push that to a large TV.

I have a chromecast - never use it.  If I had Netflix, it would probably be THE
best/cheapest device to have. Alas, I have Amazon Prime - which it doesn't
support.  Plus, if you don't have a Plex server with enough power to transcode,
then you can't stream local content.  It is REALLY picky about video/audio codec
support - REALLY picky.

Is youtube really enough reason to have a device like that?

Tried to setup a private network to playback local videos with the crhomecast -
it doesn't work without internet connectivity. That makes it tough when in a
hotel with 1 client connection allowed to wifi. They went far out of their way
to make it NOT work without internet tracking. Sad really.

Oh - an it gets really hot.

I will NOT load chrome browser, so the PC casting is worthless to me.

So ... the WDTV Live (or whatever they renamed it) is the most flexible
buy-and-forget media player I know. It doesn't support amazonP either, but
handles almost any local media you might have easily (directly connected via USB
or over the network with CIFS or NFS). Still, a real PC with Plex/XBMC is hard
to beat if you have local content.

Or perhaps I'm just old and crotchety.