[ale] [SEMI-OT] Skills for programmers/engineers?

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:44:25 EST 2014

On 01/27/2014 12:32 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On 01/27/2014 09:03 AM, leam hall wrote:
>> Not being a real programmer I'm trying to build my goal list and path.
>> Have also seen others who are  needing the same information.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I look at none of your list when I interview people.  There are 3
> things I am most interested in.
>
> 1.  Are they a problem solver?
> 2.  Are they active in the "community?"
> 3.  What do they do during their spare time?
>
> A wise man knows he knows nothing.  Is he able to figure something out?
>
> If you are active in a community you are willing to work with others
> to solve
> problems.  You are willing to ask for help.  You are willing to Google
> for suggestions.
>
> The only other skills I'm interested in are check marks beside what I
> list as tools we use.
>
> The many years I've been doing this I've learned that many people lack
> problem solving skills and
> I need that capability over any other.  The ability to break problems
> down to a simple form and rule out parts
> that are not causing the problems.
>
> Spare time is another important part.  I've seen people that like to
> be pigeon hold.  They'll work 8-5, shut down, then watch TV till bed
> time.  Nothing wrong with that, it is just not the life for me.  I
> prefer 8-5, shutdown work, go read something online, make something,
> figure something out, tinker, etc. The previous types are just not
> interested as much in personal growth and what we do requires growth
> till we stop doing it.
>
> Just my thoughts...
>
> Chris

My take as someone originally not trained in IT (chemistry) is problem
solving first with a logical outline of the steps to solve the problem.
If there is something the person does not know do they know how to
research for a solution and do they know they do not know the answer.

One question that may be more important is how did one learn about
something. I am looking at the type person they are. Are they someone
who will learn something new "just because" or only because they need to
for work. I would like to hear often this is asked by an interviewer.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com