[ale] just thinking

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Jan 27 11:57:26 EST 2014

I've never liked Gnome, starting with version 0.x.
I've been using KDE since I started using linux for my exclusive desktop about 12 years ago.
I hated the 4.0 release, but I was able to continue using 3.x until they got it sorted out.
I still like the configurability of KDE. I still have basically the same setup that I did when I started.
Since I use the desktop for almost all of my daily work activities, change is bad, unless it improves the process. Change is especially bad if it doesn't work for me and doesn't give me an alternative to revert to the old way.
I check out some of the other GUI environments occasionally, but I haven't seen the benefit the change would give me that would be worth the process of figuring out how to do all the things I do now without thinking about it.
Functionality beats pretty any day of the week.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 14:12 +0000, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> I gave up on KDE years ago, and on Gnome at 3.x. Before that, I was
> almost exclusively a Gnome user. These days, I've found that the
> simplicity of XFCE is best for me. It just gets out of my way, and
> lets me do what I need to do - switch between a bazillion terminal
> sessions, Firefox, and OpenOffice, while playing music in the
> background.

I've never been fond of KDE.  Reminded me too much of the old SCO ODT
desktop but it may have grown up some from when I tried it last.

I've pretty much given up on Gnome 3.x.  Looks ugly, they keep making it
harder and harder to find the apps you want, and it's a performance
death trap.

I pretty much use XFCE with the Enlightenment 16 (yeah, I'm a die hard)
window manager.

> --
> Allen Beddingfield
> Systems Engineer
> The University of Alabama

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com

If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report it: http://control.eastcobbgroup.com:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=43820&srvid=16vl15t