[ale] Question about bind server behavior.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Jan 25 12:40:43 EST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 12:07 -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
> One of my host providers changed the IP address of my server.  I went to
> the bind server that provides the master records and changed the IP
> address in the tables.  I restarted bind and then did a dig
> @<masterdnsserver> <serverwithnewaddress> and it reports the old IP
> address.  Is something caching that information?

1) Did you update the serial number in the SOA?

2) Are you sure you got the right zone file?  If bind is running chroot,
you may find a copy in /var/named/data and a copy
in /var/named/chroot/var/named/data.  Modern setups connect the two
together through a bind mount but it use to not always be that way and
an updated system won't perform the bind mount if it finds the chroot
directory already populated.

> I thought that if I provided a server to dig it asked the system
> directly.  I guess I need to go back to school.

You got the correct dig command (although I would have specified -t any
and verified an updated SOA as well).

> Jim.

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com