[ale] moving an .iso

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Jan 23 14:53:23 EST 2014

On 01/23/2014 09:43 AM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> On 01/22/2014 08:10 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> Dropbox is your easiest route. Second choice would be to run a web server and
>> send links.
>> You can also use the split and join capability of zip files to break an iso
>> into fat32 chunks.
> Owncloud is an open source solution.  It would mean you'd have to have a server
> somewhere, preferably one that has a static address. No 2Gb limit like Dropbox.
> Works a lot like Dropbox.  Clients are available for Mac, Linux and Win.
> Encryption can be enabled if you wish.

OwnCloud is PHP, so normal HTTPS security isn't enough to the security conscious
admin. A VPN would be highly recommended to use it.

Some of the clients act funky too. I don't think it is ready for average users
yet.  A friend installed it over Xmas, thought it was great until the Android
client didn't work so well for him.  He's an android dev, with lots-o-devices
and a huge any-platform nerd.

I installed it over the summer (I think). It was unacceptably slow on my GigE
network - over 24 hrs to sync 1 music album from a Linux client. If I used the
web interface only, it was fast, but that isn't really the point for a solution
like this.  Think I wrote up the issues on my blog.  I had hoped to completely
cut the google cord (mainly contacts) with owncloud, but every time I pushed a
full contact entry to the server, it dropped anything it deemed as excess info
... you know - 2nd email addr, or 2nd phone numbrs.  For me, that was
unacceptable and defeated the purpose.

Perhaps it is better now?