[ale] Grrr, IP changed

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jan 17 19:13:00 EST 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-17 at 06:05 -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I signed up originally worth register.com for my rdlg.net domain.
> Turns out I was moved to poweryourname.com partner.  No problems Wii
> org them but a bit slow to respond to questions and more than basic
> services can be challenging to find info on.

Someone else pointed out that you only have one name server defined for
your domain, which I just confirmed...

Let's see...  How many DNS BCPs (Best Common Practices) have you
violated here?  There's even an ancient IETF BCP on this.  Let's just
pick the obvious ones...

1) Authoritative name servers on static addresses.  Dynamic addresses
are strongly discouraged for what should be rather obvious reasons.

2) At least three authoritative name servers on geographically and
topologically diverse addresses (ok, even MS failed this test years ago,
but they learned real fast...  And the peanut gallery loved it.).

3) Maintain up-to-date management procedures and documentation...

Sounds like a self inflicted injury.  Even AFTER fixing your IP address,
you need to address your failure to adhere to DNS BCPs.  Fixing it does
not mean changing it to your new IP.  Fixing it means fixing what you
did wrong in using a dynamic address for an authoritative name server in
the first place and only having one registered name server with no
backups.

Champagne taste on a beer budget is not an excuse.  I already posted
some of what I consider to be best practices for robust and secure DNS
deployments.  It appears to me that you haven't even met the rudimentary
best practices that have been well accepted (though certainly not always
adhered to) for the last 30+ years for DNS on the Internet.  You check
my domain, WittsEnd.com, you'll find no less that 7 registered
authoritative name servers and none of them are "masters", though they
are all "authoritative" and none are "recursive cachers".  They all
slave off an unpublished master and are routinely validated against my
internal master.

There are plenty of free services out there in addition to inexpensive
commercial services, most of which even support dynamic dns updates and
even supported by many wifi routers!  Save your self some future
headaches and take advantage of them...

Regards,
Mike