[ale] OT: HDMI Switch

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Jan 16 15:21:39 EST 2014

On 1/16/2014 11:59, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I just received this:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/121252136107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
>

> It "works".  Seems a bit flaky.  The xbox 360 will not start unless the
> input is selected.  The Dish Joey seems to flake out and reboot or may
> need a reboot when switched to it.  Are there switches that work
> differently?

The Xbox 360 has a watchdog that keeps an eye on the HDMI port.  If the
XBox detects that the encryption channel (the HDCP data) is broken it
stops. I have a low end LCD TV (no-name brand) that has a defective HDMI
implementation.  The Xbox 360 won't boot if I use HDMI with that
particular LCD TV.  But the Xbox works fine on a Panasonic LCD using
HDMI so it's not the Xbox.  You're not going to get around the boot
problem with the Xbox unless the switch acts as an HDCP endpoint and
negotiates the connection with the Xbox as it expects.

As for your Dish Joey, that's probably a result of cheap design in the
switch.  Too much signal noise, probably noise injected onto the power
lines in the HDMI port, etc.  You could get something that's better
built like:

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/4-x-1-HDMI-Switch/AVSW%C4%82HDMI4X1

That should help the erratic behavior of the Joey but no switch is going
to fix the Xbox.