[ale] OT: 3D Printers, Walmart & CES

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Jan 9 16:01:35 EST 2014

On 01/09/2014 12:28 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> On 01/09/2014 11:32 AM, Scott Castaline wrote:
>> I stand corrected, if you go to the bottom of the article it does provide a
>> link back to Walmart. How ever you do have to do a search for it. They're
>> selling 2nd Gen. Cube for < $1,300
>
> I've already paid the early adoption fee presented by inkjets.  For 3D printers
> I'm going to let the young kids pay the tax and I'll sit back and wait...

Read last year that Staples was going to deploy 3D printers to all their stores.
 Don't know if they did or not, but that wuold be a cheaper way to get practice
with the tech than buying one for yourself to make a few spatulas and
replacement legos.  Er ... not that anyone here would do that. ;)

Dumped inkjets about 6 yrs ago. A good laser is much, much, much cheaper to run
year after year for me. Toner doesn't dry out for many, many years. Whereas
printing 30 pgs of taxes every year cost me about $40 - need new ink every time.

Back in the 1990s, it was easier to refill and I did. only 1 mess. Also printed
much more before getting larger monitors.