[ale] Job in Seattle

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Jan 2 19:47:48 EST 2014

You mean like building your own Backblaze pod?

http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180tb-of-good-vibrations-storage-pod-3-0/

Or you could buy an off-the-shelf 4U 24-hot-swap-bay enclosure for ~$400,
fill it with 4TB drives, put on FreeNAS with RAIDZ2, and voila, you now
have 64TB of usable space.

-derek

On Thu, January 2, 2014 6:53 pm, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I would love to be able to put together big filesystems using commodity
> parts in easily-fabbed enclosures and various F/OSS bits and pieces so
> as to be able to tell the EMCs, NetApps, etc. of the world to pound
> sand.  Never liked working with that stuff nor their vendors.
>
> On 1/2/14, 6:07 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
>>
>> EMC squared is typically just called EMC by most employees and
>> customers so I think you're talking about the same company.
>>
>> Around here we have other choice names for EMC but that's a long
>> story.  :-)   Their service in recent years often made me think EMC
>> was an acronym for:
>>
>> Evidently
>>
>> Meaningless
>>
>> Customers

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745