[ale] Use opensuse 13.1 to build NAS machine

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 14:46:48 EST 2014

On Wed, 2014-12-31 at 11:23 -0800, Alex Carver wrote:
> On 2014-12-31 07:49, JD wrote:
>
> > For Linux, I use rdiff-backup. There have been many posts here about it, plus
> > ALE-NW has done a few backups-only presentations over hte years. Google should
> > find those.  This http://www.kirya.net/articles/backups-using-rdiff-backup/ is
> > the best, easiest, rdiff-backup explanation and how-to I've seen anywhere.  If
> > you are using rsync, the commands are almost the same, but rdiff-backup provides
> > so much more that we need in a backup solution.  I have tried to get the Windows
> > port of rdiff-backup working - never worked well after a few years trying, so I
> > stopped. Don't have any current data.
>

> I've got several Windows machines at work using rdiff-backup via cygwin.
>  Works well enough to keep a functional backup.  In one case I even have
> a Windows to Windows

heh, heh. Back a zillion years ago, I hacked up a backup system for
windbloze machines using cygwin and rsync for a office environment.
Changed files were a new version number and all was stored by date.
There was a "hot dir" that was where active files were used and it was
backed up every 15 minutes. Restores were also scripted. They simply
opened a folder manager, copied the restore script to the folder that
needed a restored file if it wasn't there already and double clicked it.
The script opened a new cmd.exe window and provided a list of files to
restore. Selecting a file would give a list of version by time. I
vaguely recall I used wxwindows. No idea where that code is. Got tired
of supporting windows systems about the same time I discovered bacula.