[ale] Use opensuse 13.1 to build NAS machine

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Dec 31 10:49:54 EST 2014

Inline ...

On 12/31/2014 09:12 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> What I had in mind.
>
> On the machine that holds backups (let me call this NAS box), I was planning to
> create folders for each device I plan to backup.
> Example
>
> /backup/MainDellWin7Laptop
> /backup/TouchPadTablet

Strongly recommend using the 'hostname' for these. That way most backup scripts
don't need to be changed just for the target location.

> Under each of the folders there will be a MMDDYYYY_HHmmSS folders where the
> delta backups are held.  I plan to do a push model from each of the devices
> using some sort of cronjob script.  I am exploring software that is native to
> the OS's

You shouldn't care about any directories under the top level for the `hostname`
backup.  Versioning needs to be part of the backup tool used, not something you
maintain manually except in extreme situations.

IMHO.

> I was trying to understand what is it that NAS gives you vs a solution that is
> homegrown.

Huh? I don't understand.  NAS - Network Attached Storage.  It is storage on a
network - nothing more.  NFS, Samba/CIFS are the usual share modes.  Use NFS for
UNIX-link OSes to have full permissions controls. Use CIFS/Samba for Windows or
only data stuff where ownership/groups/permissions aren't important.

> Another thing I plan to do is to share the media from the backup box to Apple TV
> and/or other machines in the house.  Is SAMBA the solution ?

Don't know anything about appleTV - except a relative in a mostly Apple house
uses Plex Server to share media.  I use Plex Server here and love it (er
mostly).  Plex is a DLNA server and almost any DLNA client can access. No need
for samba is that is the purpose.

Most UNIX-like backup tools will transmit data using librsync - so no need to
have nfs or samba for those. I've heard about Windows backup tools that also
provide network-based backups, but most home users are forced (due to
complexity) to use CIFS network shares.  For Windows, I use a sub-optimal
technique - quarterly images with daily data-only backups.

For Linux, I use rdiff-backup. There have been many posts here about it, plus
ALE-NW has done a few backups-only presentations over hte years. Google should
find those.  This http://www.kirya.net/articles/backups-using-rdiff-backup/ is
the best, easiest, rdiff-backup explanation and how-to I've seen anywhere.  If
you are using rsync, the commands are almost the same, but rdiff-backup provides
so much more that we need in a backup solution.  I have tried to get the Windows
port of rdiff-backup working - never worked well after a few years trying, so I
stopped. Don't have any current data.

If you come out to the GA-400 group on Sunday, I'm positive we can get you doing
rdiff-backup in an almost complete way for all your UNIX-like systems. There
isn't anything hard, just many, tiny, steps for it all to fit together in a most
excellent way that basically always, always, works.  rdiff-backup can transfer
data over ssh, nfs, or any other file storage mode that is mounted as local
storage to the backup storage.

Everyone is invited.