[ale] Python Mentors?

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Dec 30 07:05:01 EST 2014

On 12/29/2014 09:17 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Where's the trial by fire aspect of perl? Other than whitespace failures, Python
> is just too damn clear!

In 11th grade, I was taught which column got the C (6) so the line could be
continued.  Since that language, I've always rejected languages which are
completely dependent on whitespace.  I'm not 16 anymore.  BTW - it was
Fortran66.  Python feels like that to me.

However, Python is probably the best learning language out there today and if I
were recommending any language for someone to use/learn it is python. I
convinced my sister, a math professor, to teach her non-technical 1st
programming language students Python over all other languages.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/10/19/how-to-learn-to-program
The comments are helpful too.

OTOH, perl is NOT write once (unless the programmer is a complete noob) and it
is an unbelievable language for performance and flexibility. All languages
(spoken or computer or written) require the human to learn the syntax in
context, python does, just like perl.  Once you get the hang of Perl it is
fantastic with subtle differences in the way to accomplish something best. There
isn't just 1 way to accomplish something in Perl, just like there are multiple
ways to say something in English.

Shakespeare would program in Perl.  P-Diddy in Python.  Just sayin'.