[ale] OT: Change in UI on Xfinity Modem/Router/Wireless AP

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 23:19:21 EST 2014

I in the past have brought up the discussion of attempting to get
Comcast support to put the above device into bridged mode. I very often
would have mixed results in doing that. Sometimes it took 3 to 4 calls
to get it done each time being told that there would be an $80 charge to
do so. I would keep on escalating it until I would all but 2 times get
credited for the charge. What usually would happen is I would finally
get them to do the deed and a month or so later the AP would be
re-enabled and then the battle would start all over again. More recently
this was causing ntp not to sync my routers clock (ASUS RT-AC66U).
Recently we had bought one of those smart-tvs and I decided to go ahead
to set it up. I was able to get it to connect to my router through
wireless but no internet access. I kind of figured that my current
set-up of having my router's WAN port connected to one of Xfinity's LAN
ports on their AP was the culprit. In preparation for battle with
Comcast support I kept going through their interface to see if there was
something that might help. With last nights storms I decided to unplug
everything and start on it today. I was pleasantly surprised when I
logged into their AP and found a new UI with a softswitch to put the
damned thing into bridged mode and much to my surprise it did just that.
It actually worked (who says miracles don't happen anymore). So now my
router is very happy since ntp is syncing and wife is happy watching
NetFlix, and whatever else the tv has access to. So as they say "Happy
wife means happy life!" and my life just got real happy. I thought I
would through this out there for those of you that have Comcast are not
aware of this yet. Also those that are, do you know if I'll wind up with
a surprise $80 charge on my bill?

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New year.

--
Sent from my Fedora Linux PC to you, NSA, the CIA, FBI, HSA and God only knows who else?!