[ale] Titles

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 08:24:34 EST 2014

On 12/23/14 08:00, Brandon Colbert wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.

The main thing to ask is "did the person who wrote the title really
understand the job?" In some places that's a "yes", in other places no.
If it's a resume title then it gives you a lead to discuss your
strengths and accomplishments.

A recruiter called me about an Oracle DB/Solaris support job. The hiring
manager really needed someone to lead the growth of the entire Unix
infrastructure. Same job, two very different perspectives.

If this is for a resume, define the job you want and show how you've
been working towards that for some time. Everything on my resume is
true, but it's not everything I've done. My resume does show those
things that demonstrate the type of work I really want to do. I don't
talk about supporting HP/UX or SCO because I don't want to do that anymore.

For folks transitioning into a new area, the same applies. Find the best
"industry standard" you can for the role. Highlight what your background
already shows and find ways to build the skills you don't have. This is
a great time to help with an Open Source project; you build skills,
resume bullets, and the community.

Leam

--
http://31challenge.net