[ale] portable thunderbird?

Vernard Martin vernard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 19:25:31 EST 2014

On 12/22/2014 05:19 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> anyone use portable thunderbird?
> I was thinking of taking my WORK laptop with me for Christmas, and using
> a USB stick with portable thunderbird, rather than taking both work &
> personal laptops..
> any gotchas ??
> I put portable thunderbird on a USB stick & copied my .thunderbird
> folder ( all 12 GBs..) to it.

I did this for years using the Portable Apps windows based tool. My
parents have windows machines and I could just plug my flash drive in
and work off of that. To this day, I keep one of these flash drives
around to use when I travel.  I usually have Cygwin on it and a bunch of
other Must Have programs to provide to make a vanilla Windows
environment more palatable.

And yes, just copiing your folders over to it will do it. Make  sure to
change your settings in Thunderbird so that it will sync only the
folders that you really need. I get so much email that I don't want to
wait for it to sync all the folders, just the Big Three (Sent, Received
and Inbox).