[ale] Mysterious home network slowdowns

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Dec 16 10:09:17 EST 2014

On 12/15/2014 06:20 PM, Pete Hardie wrote:
> All,
>
> fairly often, my home network displays very slow ping times.  I've got a mix of
> mired and wireless connections.  It is inconsistent, but persists for minutes at
> a time.  What steps can y'all recommend to troubleshoot this?

Simplify and test each part.  I would ignore wifi until all other parts are
known to be working as expected.  Wifi issue can be very difficult to pin due to
all the environmental interference possible.

Old routers to fail.
Sometimes ports become flaky, so switch the ports used.
Same for cables, NICs.

You haven't been explicit about point-A to B connections. *Everything* involved
is suspect.  If there are multiple subnets, then things become more complex.

Simplify and test until you know what works and what doesn't.