[ale] OT: Windows Programming

parspes parspes at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 13:37:12 EST 2014

 Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:

>What about some way to cross compile on Linux, but run on Windows?
>
> I seem to recall some tools that do this, but I Google is no help in
> finding them.

 Most are based upon the Mono Project I think - http://www.mono-project.com/

 Have you read this?
http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/12/microsoft-takes-net-open-source-and-cross-platform/
Microsoft Takes .NET Open Source And Cross-Platform

 Microsoft plans to work with the Xamarin-sponsored Mono community,
which already produces a cross-platform open source .NET framework
based on C#. "We will announce this and then take the next few months
working with the Mono community," Somasegar told me. "We are working
very closely with the Xamarin guys on this."
 The efforts to take .NET cross-platform go hand-in-hand with this
open source announcement, Somasegar argues. "I think of this as the
next big step for .NET," he told me. Microsoft wants to give .NET a
broader platform and how better to do this than through taking it to
new platforms?