[ale] Verizon Nexus 6?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:04:12 EST 2014

Yep.  You can get bimodal phones (my old HTC Incredible 2 can be used on
both types of networks), but most are either CDMA or GSM.  GSM phones have
slightly higher resale value, since it's much simpler to use them -- you
just install a GSM card in its slot and you're good to go. To use a phone
on a CDMA network, you have to go through a registration process. This also
makes it difficult or impossible to use the same phone with two different
carriers, and makes it less convenient to stop using the phone with your
carrier and resume later.  Most of the world outside the USA uses GSM
networks, so if you plan to travel overseas a GSM phone will be much more
useful.

T-Mobile's coverage is sometimes a little spotty, but they seem marginally
less likely to engage in privacy or network fuckery (
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2839816/secretive-unblockable-verizon-perma-cookies-kick-up-privacy-concerns.html
). I've been pretty happy with my T-Mobile HTC One, although the
speakerphone mic leaves much to be desired.  You can factory-unlock a
T-Mobile HTC One; Verizon has blocked that path so you're forced to rely on
software exploits to unlock their HTC phones. T-Mobile has used Carrier IQ
on their phones ( http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397128,00.asp ),
but running a 3rd-party build like CyanogenMod will take care of that.
Buy your phone from a 3rd party (http://swappa.com) and go BYOD with your
carrier if you can. This simplifies changing carriers should you need to do
that.

-- CHS