[ale] Debian fork thoughts?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Dec 1 12:43:49 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 12:23:14PM -0500, leam hall wrote:
> You've probably seen the news that Debian has forked. I'm interested
> in a much smaller OS that works. Would love to hear your perspectives
> on this. It seems like a Good Thing (tm).

"Forking" is a strong word; this seems to be (yet) another Debian
Derivative that will, for all intents, be >99% identical to upstream.

Honestly, I fail to see what *technical* outcomes will come of this that
aren't possible (and indeed, highly feasible) by working under the main
Debian umbrella; indeed anything meaningful to come from this will
likely end up merged upstream anyway, which really makes me wonder what
the point of the whole exercise is.

At best, I see this "fork" as a way to siphon off some of the more vocal
malcontents into their own playpen, and that's undeniably a good thing.
I don't have high expectations of said malcontents' ability to actually
deliver anything useful, and their abusing of the Debian constitutional
process has hurt Debian far more than it's helped anyone.

 - Solomon [There, my $0.02. Let the flames commence]
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^