[ale] Fwd: [freeside] It's Official: Atlanta Maker Faire (Not Mini!)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:51:58 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-04-30 at 15:12 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Jim Lynch
> > <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> >         On 04/30/2014 11:59 AM, JD wrote:
> >                 So .... anyone interested in doing an "all linux for
> >                 everything" presentation?
> >                 Having never been to a maker event, I don't think I'm
> >                 the best person to head
> >                 this up, but I can certainly support others. ;)
> >

> >         I was very disappointed last year when I found no Linux
> >         presence at the faire.
> >

> > Maybe it's just my personal bias, but "no Linux presence" makes me
> > wonder how people can claim to actually hack things.
>
> You're almost as bad as the people who claim that all hackers are bad
> guys.

I can be a bit closed-minded/stubborn at times :-)  I do know that there
are many things that get hacked on that use software to control. It should
be Linux (or another code base that allows the user to freely hack around
under the hood - *BSD comes to mind.) for it to count as hackable to me
(there's my closed-minded bias again :-)

>  You can hack a lot of things.  You can even hack things that
> don't even have computers.  I hack together woodworking projects or yard
> projects from time to time.

I must admit that _anything_ I do with wood these days is a hack and not a
showpiece. ditto on my welding (I make "art" out of rusty scraps for fun),
jewelry, sheetrock, tile, and few others as well. My code should probably
be in that list as well :-(

> I do agree that having a Linux presence there would be a great thing.

Linux based controllers doing "stuff" is always cool! I'm looking at
several RasPi projects with my son these days. Probably need to crank out a
RasPi thermostat/duct controller (stupid split level house design with
1969-era ductwork).