[ale] Hard Drive recovery of data help please

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Mon Apr 21 21:48:18 EDT 2014

I've been using 'dirvish' to a locally mounted external USB, and I swap the driver out every month or so.  I want to expand it to a remote site backup, but haven't spent the time to set it up yet.

'dirvish' is just a collection of scripts wrapped around the rsync hardlink copy options, but it handles logging, setting up the appropriate directorys, erasing expired backups, etc.  I like the fact that I can go dig around in the backup directories using normal linux tools, no special backup format to decode.

Package: dirvish
State: installed
Maintainer: Paul Slootman <paul at debian.org>
Architecture: all
 A utility to maintain multiple backups on online storage, each backup is
 available as a sort of snapshot directory, where common files are shared
 between the different backup generations. It uses rsync to do the actual
 copying.

 Backups can be made locally or over the network (using ssh).
Homepage: http://freecode.com/projects/dirvish

later!
   horkan