[ale] Virtualizing SCO OpenServer 5.x

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Apr 15 20:13:10 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 19:17 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> On 04/15/2014 03:21 PM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> > I don't think there is enough free disk space on the original system to make that backup
> I don't have any SCO experience, but can you attach (and use) a USB
> harddrive?

Oh, I remember that too.  Yes and no.

Yes, you can (maybe) after getting the appropriate drivers enabled and
recompile the kernel with that.  I think I remember doing that.  Painful
experience.  I think I remember I gave up on the effort but that was a
long time ago.

No, in that SCO is not going to understand any ext* file system, Linux
is not (I don't think) understand that antiquated sv5* file system, and
VFAT, NTFS, or other lowest common denominator isn't going to cut it
because of file attributes (which is why I probably gave up).

You could do a tar backup to it (again - you gotta enable those drivers
and rebuild the kernel) on a VFAT file system (subject to file length
limits on VFAT) and then extract them.  I don't think I ever tried using
NTFS with SCO.

Neil Rhodes might have better advice.  He's also done work on SCO.  I
put this behind me over a decade ago.

> Jim

Regards,
Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com