[ale] Virtualizing SCO OpenServer 5.x

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Tue Apr 15 15:21:36 EDT 2014

I have a consulting client running SCO OpenServer 5.x on an old Dell PowerEdge 2600, and I would love to get this moved into a virtual.  I've found some howtos for P2V'ing into VMware ESXi, by using G4U to make a whole disk image, ftp that to another machine on the LAN, then write it back to a VM, then change the various drivers, etc...  inside the VM to get it to work. I'm going to haul a test machine down there with ESXi on it to test, but I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck doing this - either on ESXi or even on KVM?  I know it won't be possible with XEN.
I've also seen other mentions of people loading up the VM with a fresh install, and untarring a full system backup over the top of it.  The problem is that I don't think there is enough free disk space on the original system to make that backup, and given the age of it, I want to mess with the hardware on the original system as little as possible.

Anyone have any experience in doing this?

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer