[ale] [OT] Science Fiction

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:47:58 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at dsservices.com>wrote:
>
>>   If you like Clarke’s style (including getting to the emotion of his
>> characters) you’d probably enjoy Orson Scott Card’s stuff as well.
>>

>> Oddly enough Clarke wrote the book “2001: A Space Odyssey “ AFTER the
>> movie.
>>

>> It boggles my mind that after all these years they’ve made a movie of
>> Card’s “Ender’s Game”.    I’ve not seen it because I fear it will be
>> disappointing like many SciFi movies purported to be based on books of the
>> same title.   (I still gnash my teeth whenever Starship Troopers is being
>> shown.)
>>

> Go ahead and see the movie.   Unlike Starship Troopers it is quite true to
> the book.  And unlike Dune, they didn't try to get everything into the
> book.  The whole Locke/Demosthenese subplot is excluded, and the book is
> much more about action than it is about the growth of Ender as a leader,
> but I still liked it and wasn't offended by it varying from the book.
>
> Michael

I agree. It was well done if a bit thin on some non-critical areas but it
made for a good movie. Probably would have been 4 hours if they they had
added all the relationship stuff they cut out. I was worried when the
previews were hawking the big names in it as they were all adults. They
actually played (correctly) mostly minor roles.

Starship Troopers has likely blocked any more Heinlein from hitting the big
screen. I almost walked out of the theater. I saw an article after that
pile of trash came out that the kids were furious over the production.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*