[ale] need 5" android tablet / phone for obd car instrumentation

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Sep 16 21:01:22 EDT 2013

If a cheap tablet doesn't have Bluetooth then it likely won't have USB
On-The-Go which is what you would need to run a wired USB dongle (i.e.
host-mode USB that you normally find on a desktop).  This is a hardware
limitation, it requires a very specific USB chipset inside the device.
It's not something that can be added by using a simple cable (USB-OTG
cables are just adapters to change the size and gender of the cable, no
electronics exist in the cable.)

Not even all phones have USB-OTG.  Search Google for tablets with
USB-OTG and you'll find a very small list.  The Samsung Galaxy and Note
series have it.  The Google Nexus series have it, too, for some of the
Nexus versions.  Beyond Samsung and Google, one Acer, one Asus, one
Huawei, one Sony and one Toshiba have it, too.[1]

Additionally, not all of the devices will have the right USB stacks
loaded to use the device (most do but some have limitations).

[1] from a quick Google search
http://www.lok-it.net/usb-otg-compatible-phones-tablets/