[ale] Can Bad Video Settings Fry LCD Monitors?

Matt Hessel matt.hessel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 17:54:49 EDT 2013

I *think* the possible damage to monitors was related to the vertical and
horizontal refresh rate signal from the vga , and the capabilities of the
monitor - which was dependent on the embedded chips in the monitor.  Since
the monitor is largely driven by the timings from the video card, incorrect
timings could burn out the monitor by essentially overdriving the chip that
is converting the analog signal into scanlines for the display.

My guess is the dell is burning out the monitors, considering that you used
several LCD vendors, either the video card has problems, or has to use a
faulty driver that cannot sense edid properly.

Most x.org stuff senses that automatically on initialization, but old
graphics cards aren't maintained, and don't have the more modern DDC used.
(Just saw a proposal in Fedora 20 to possibly drop all the older drivers,
which would leave ATI/AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA as your primary options)