[ale] Can Bad Video Settings Fry LCD Monitors?

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 23:31:18 EDT 2013

I set my housemate up with a Linux system running Mint 13 - an older
Dell desktop with stock VGA graphics adapter.'

He's been using spare 17" monitors from my standby collection and
that seem to have been been recognized by the system auto configs,
but  he just had a second monitor go dead on the system.  The first,
an AIWA, went to black screen and won't even power on now when I
try to test it now.  The second, a pretty decent ViewSonic, stays
black with active VGA connected, is a solid white screen when
active DVI is connected and the power light flashes yellow after
an initial blue power up.  Neither will display any of the internal
settings menu windows.

I'm concerned that there may be something in the video settings
or Xconfig or Dell graphics card that is stressing these monitors
to death. I know that with some of the CRT's it was possible to
fry them with bad horizontal and vertical frequency settings. Any
one hear of or experience this with LCD panels?

Could totally be coincidence, but I'd rather not burn up any more
of my spare screens, so any thoughts appreciated.

in peace,
aaron