[ale] Any language (wuz: Assembly Language?)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Sun Oct 27 17:00:21 EDT 2013

On 10/27/2013 02:53 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> I have never known and used more than 1 computer language at a time.  What that was varied depending on the time.  But, it seems to me that being fluent, and not confused, in more than 1 at a time would be very hard.  I cannot really imagine being productive in Clipper, C++, and Go all at the same time, for example.

It's possible, as long as you remember the core concept of what you're
doing.  All programming comes down to is taking a problem and expressing
it (codifying it) so that the computer understands how to work the problem.

Of course, to be fluent in multiple languages, you must be pretty
familiar with its gotchas.  I'm fluent in C, C#, Vala, PHP and Python at
this point.

I've never touched Clipper or anything else in that family, though I'm
aware of the family and could write a program in it after perhaps a day
or two of reading to make sure that I learn the core concepts and enough
to know what the invariants of the environment are.

But that's really all there is to it.  A programming environment can
differ even when the same language is used.  Look at JavaScript for the
canonical and most easily cited example of that; JS inside the browser
and outside of the browser are two different beasts, in terms of what
the actual environment is.  The language is, however, the same.

     --- Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843