[ale] Fedora install?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Thu Oct 24 20:46:51 EDT 2013

On 10/24/2013 10:18 AM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> SLES is gaining some marketshare here in the U.S.  Since the Attachmate purchase of Novell and separating SUSE back off as a separate company, things are looking up.  They are aggressively marketing to the U.S. market now.  I have noticed that a lot more applications are starting to support SLES.  However, you are correct that RHEL is still the main distro in the U.S.  Probably more like by 70-75% instead of 95%, though.  I think the acceptance and use of CentOS in professional datacenters and the proliferation of Oracle's bastardized RHEL clone is doing more to chip away at their customer base than SUSE, though.  VMware and Microsoft have both helped to push SUSE. If you purchase VMware with the right agreements, you get unlimited SLES guests for free.  Microsoft prefers SLES as a HyperV guest, and they still have some sort of a weird licensing arrangement with them.
> I'm lucky enough to have been here long enough that I got to set the direction for our Linux implementation before Red Hat got their claws in - I realize that this is not a luxury that most people have.  I was working with SUSE before Novell acquired them, when it was still spelled S.u.S.E. and was an acronym.  It makes me happy to see them growing, instead of on the decline.

I totaly did not see that comming in 2006, I would have guessed SLES was
going to gain market share and everything about how their stance said
they were pouncing:  then history happened and SLES is (at this time) a
minor foot note.  Tote missed that.  One of the things that amazes me.

what happened?

SNIP

--
Damon L. Chesser