[ale] Fedora 17 and X11

askabt askabt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 17:24:59 EDT 2013

  On Fedora weird things happen to me after a kernel update.  The video
driver might not have been compiled into the modules.  Used to reinstall
Nvidia drivers manually every time Ubuntu kernel was updated. Until they
added it to the repository.

  On a side note. After the kernel update on my Fedora KVM, it wouldn't
recognize lvm's anymore.  The new kernel was created without LVM
support.  So it wouldn't boot the OS. And I don't use Fedora again.

Tip:
  As for xorg.conf.  As for the new Xorg setup, the xorg.conf is auto
configured in the background.  You can create your own or just the parts
of it you want manually configured.  What you don't setup in the
xorg.conf will be configured automatic on start of Xorg.

Further:
  To generate a xorg.conf.  ctl-F1
    login as user
    switch to root or sudo
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop (turn off gdm, kdm, or lightdm)
    Xorg -configure

You should have a new default xorg.conf.new in your root directory.
  Move it to proper location
    cp /root/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Restart service
  /etc/init.d/gdm start

GDM will start using your new xorg.conf and automatic move you to
terminal ctl+F7 or ctl+F8 depending on type of service.