[ale] Fedora grousing

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Oct 23 12:36:17 EDT 2013

On 10/23/2013 09:48 AM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> The fact that so many web people think developing on a bleeding-edge workstation distro is a sane idea just throws fuel on the fire of my dislike for Ubuntu.

Meant to also reply to this statement in my previous email.  Oops.

I /run/ current distributions, but for any given project, I /develop in
the target environment/.  I don't run test code on my workstation; my
workstation is a production machine that is to be my toolbox and it is
to be configured such that I can do my job the most efficiently I can. I
can afford to run newer tools on my workstation.

However, if a project is to be deployed in Debian 6, then the staging
environment for that project that I am working in /is also Debian 6/ and
/is configured exactly as the specifications have provided for/.  This
is the only way that software development can truly be done.  Of course,
all of these are on VMs and not real hardware (unless the project is
itself a hardware project).

I *intentionally* run my staging environment lean on resources, as
well.  I only give 192 MB or 256 MB to my testing systems because if the
Web app cannot run in that, either something is wrong or the
requirements are in need of adjustment.

I abhor people who develop, test and run on workstation-class hardware
for things that are intended to be deployed and used on desktop, laptop
or server systems.  I think it's irresponsible to the extreme---and yet
it is a method of standard operation for e.g. Java shops.

     --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843