[ale] Fedora grousing

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 11:49:42 EDT 2013

I came close to rolling F20 out for the compute cluster but decided the
alpha status would be used against me if anything went wrong. I'll look at
the new installer soon.

I hit a different "infinite dots" bug trying to use 4 partitions in a RAID1
mirror. mdraid supports it but anaconda doesn't. The changes between
kickstart syntax version is poorly documented. Kickstart is great but it
needs some design effort from some "older, more experienced" visonaries (I
think - never met any of the current coders so I may be blowing smoke).
Hopefully the design will ultimately include desktop/laptop, tablet,
server, and cluster node options for installation styles. That would be
pretty sweet!

I'm still wrapping my head around systemctl vs service. I just noticed that
systemctl status opensm gives a TON of useful data!

systemctl status opensm
opensm.service - Starts the OpenSM InfiniBand fabric Subnet Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/opensm.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2013-10-22 16:49:13 EDT; 18h ago
     Docs: man:opensm
 Main PID: 643 (opensm-launch)
   CGroup: name=systemd:/system/opensm.service
           ├─ 643 /bin/bash /usr/libexec/opensm-launch
           └─1335 /usr/sbin/opensm

Oct 22 16:49:13 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu systemd[1]: Started Starts the
OpenSM InfiniBand fabric Subnet Manager.
Oct 22 16:49:13 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[644]:
Oct 22 16:49:13 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[644]: Cannot open file
'/var/log/opensm.log' for appending: Read-only file system
Oct 22 16:49:43 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[1335]:
Oct 22 16:49:43 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[1335]: /var/log/opensm.log
log file opened
Oct 22 16:49:43 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[1335]: OpenSM 3.3.15
Oct 22 16:49:43 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[1335]: Entering
DISCOVERING state
Oct 22 16:49:43 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[1335]: Entering STANDBY
state
Oct 22 16:49:43 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[1335]: Entering MASTER
state
Oct 22 16:49:44 cnode2.clus.cci.emory.edu OpenSM[1335]: SUBNET UP

and all others are very useful as well.

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.