[ale] Survey -- preferred Text Editor

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Oct 22 18:28:54 EDT 2013

On 10/21/2013 03:10 PM, Jonathan Meek wrote:
> Now to really start the holy wars of all holy wars since we got the
> preferred distro, desktop, and browser.
>
> What's everyone preferred text editor?
I've been using vi and it's relatives for so long that I find any other
editor cumbersom.   I use an editor for programming mostly and the
ability to quickly delete or duplicate lines and place them somewhere
else via the keyboard beats a GUI everytime, IMO.  There are so many
things like the yank (yf.  yank all characters up to and including the
period on one line) substitute (:%s/off/on/g substitute the word on for
off everwhere) the period to repeat the last command.  All of that
without taking my hands from the keyboard.  Combine that with a gui in
gvim and the world is your pearl!  My life would be complete if someone
would combine the best of geary and vim.

I learned vi many years ago when some version of it was on every system
I worked on, that had a command line, that is.  I never found it on VM
or MVS but I wouldn't doubt someone had ported it.

Jim.