[ale] Filed De-duplication

John Pilman jcpilman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 13:15:45 EDT 2013

David Hamm posted to this list about three years ago:
If you are trying to track down all the duplicate files in each clients
directory I'd suggest fdupes.
Fdupes will search a directory tree for duplicates by generating an MD5 sum
of
the contents of each file and offers options for dealing with duplicates.
It
will produce a list, or even remove any duplicates and create links to the
remaining file while preserving the file name.

I have been using fdupes to llist duplicates to a file and I usually delete
the diplicate with the longest path.

...John