[ale] Survey - preferred Linux distro, desktop, and browser.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:07:32 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

>   I'd love a
> tablet-friendly NX client.

If you run stuff in a VM for remote use, look for a spice client for
android tablets. provides same "stuff" as NX (encrypted connection, low
bandwidth) but even works for sound and streaming video and microphone. It
also has support for local USB to VM connection (I think - may be in future
release and not current).

I generally work with sound off. I was quite surprised during the ALE talk
when my demo of remote winders7 desktop VM (through 3 firewalls!) over
spice client had bleeps and blorps from winders sounds :-) . So I tested
(in front the group - brave or foolish :-) if youtube would play and we
were all pretty amazed at the quality and sound sync.

Don't know if it reasonable to try and use spice for a remote access tool
yet. It requires an external networking layer to connect to the virtual
nic, kvm over a virtualized serial connection inside the VM. That serial
connection is encrypted and sent to the client.

I have several remote KVM setups at work. Drives me nuts with the
java-based mouse offsets. Spice does not have that issue and with all
proper drivers installed, it supports cut-n-paste from laptop to/from
virtual desktop over spice (common mouse buffer! Still need <ctl>-c/v for
winders but middle click OK for Linux clients.).

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain