[ale] Video problems

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Oct 17 08:16:45 EDT 2013

Good morning Jim,

On 10/17/2013 07:51 AM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Returning the channel to a Linux technical question, I have a Centos 6
> system running on a fairly late model ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5KPL-VM
> Motherboard.  It has an Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics
> Controller.  The monitor is a 19" Hanns G with native resolution of 1440
> x 900 at 60 hz.  It looks crappy.  I was running it at 1024  x 768 and
> it looked crappy but it wouldn't go above that without some
> encouragment.  So I did a cvt 1440 900 and got a mode line, which I used
> with xrandr to increase the resolution, thinking it was because the
> monitor wasn't running in native mode.  It still looks crappy.  It's a
> bit hard to describe, but there these "artifacts" that are very
> indistinct.  They look a bit like smears. Vertical lines, appear to have
> multiple images to the right each one getting more indistinct and fading
> out after a while.   I keep cleaning my glasses to try to fix it.  Text
> just isn't clean and distinct.  It's not exactly blurry either.  It's
> hard to explain.

Sounds like broken cable termination.  I'll bet that the spacing of the
horizontal echoes correlates well with the length of your monitor cable
versus the horizontal refresh frequency and the speed of electrical
propagation (~2/3 c).

> So is there a software fix?  Do I replace the monitor?  the computer?
> get a decent video card?  This is more or less a server that gets put
> into desk top duty to program an Arduino sometimes.

You'll have to mix and match to figure out if its the monitor or the
cable or the video card.

I'd start with the cable.  :-)

Phil